"Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ"
Jude v 1
In
my last post we looked at the fact that although we have been made free from
the power of sin, we are not now our own. But, we belong to and serve Christ.
It is our purpose and our delight to do what He commands. Now I would like to
consider Jude being a servant of Christ in a different aspect. What makes this
statement so remarkable is the fact that Jude is the brother of Christ. But
instead of calling himself Christ’s brother he calls himself His servant.
We
love for people to know when we are associated with someone who is important or
famous. If someone were to even meet a celebrity on the street they would post
a picture of it to Facebook or Instagram in the blink of an eye. Here Jude is
introducing himself to his readers. This would be a perfect opportunity for him
to earn a little honor and respect and make sure everyone knows exactly who he
is. He could have told them that he is the actual brother of Christ. That this Jesus
whom his readers are believers in and followers of is his brother. That would
be an absolutely incredible thing to tell someone! But Jude does not introduce
himself in that way. I believe Jude found being a servant of Christ of more
honor and to be more precious to him.
There
is a certain honor in being a servant of Jesus Christ. Some names and titles
seem important to us and we wear them proudly. When we work for a reputable company
we are anxious to let people know. This is true in the companies we work for,
the sports teams we cheer for or even the countries we live in. I name I wear
proudly is the term Baptist. This is a designation that I take great pride in
having and I hope to call myself one for the rest of my life. But there is a
name that I view in much more esteem, that is the designation of “Christian”.
To be a servant of the true and living God and of His Son Jesus Christ, what an
amazing honor is that! “I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God,
than to dwell in the tents of wickedness” Psalm 84:10. The Psalmist is claiming
that there is a great privilege in being even a doorkeeper for God. There is a
much higher privilege and honor to be a lowly doorman for Christ than there is
to be a king without Him.
But
not only is this of honor, it is also very precious to us. Being an unmarried
man I speak out of concept or idea rather than experience, but I would imagine
when a woman marries a man she loves and takes his name as her own than it
becomes precious to her. Imagine being those believers in Antioch, who were the
first people to be ever designated with the term or name “Christians” Acts
11:26. I don’t think they were ashamed of this but gladly bore such a name to
be associated with their blessed Savior! We who are believers are the bride of
Christ, and He has in a sense given us His name, we are now “Christians”. This
is an idea that should be very precious to us. Every time we are called
Christians we are reminded that we are servants of Christ the almighty creator
and precious redeemer.
The
name of Christ should be a name of that is very dear to us. We should be as the
woman who said of her beloved “Your name is like perfume poured out” Song of
Solomon 1:3 NIV. Just as a sweet fragrance as a way of delighting and
refreshing us, how much more when we have the precious name of Jesus fall on
our ears. There is no other word, sound, or name that refreshes our weary souls
as the name of Jesus. Surely, when we view any achievement we may have gained,
or any title we may have earned we should be able to say with Paul “What things
were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea I doubtless, and count
all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord”
Philippians 3:7-8. To Jude, to be Christ’s brother did not compare to being His
servant. The Lord of all creation, Son of God and Son of Man, has died and
purchased you with His blood and called you unto Himself to be His servant. “Whom
have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth I desire besides thee”
Psalm 73:25. There is no other name we should ever hold in more regard or
should ever be as precious to us as the blessed name of Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment